This is a companion blog post to 27. Bwandungi uses a vision board to supercharge her life.
Before you even start your vision board, you have to let go of the fear that you are not creative enough to make one, or that defining your goals will trap you. This is YOUR tool and you can CHANGE it whenever you need to.
Here are some questions I kept in mind as I created my own vision board to guide and focus my intention, and fuel my desire to accomplish my goals.
- Who are you?
- How do you learn?
- What did you believe your life would be when you were 20?
- Can you articulate your goals clearly?
- Do images of success inspire you?
- Or do stories of success inspire you?
- Or do inspirational quotes inspire you?
- Do you have properly defined “Areas” of your life? (Love, Faith, Family, Career, etc.)
- Create a list of areas.
- Being completely honest (as though you were evaluating someone else’s life) describe these areas.
- Using your wildest imagination, describe what you want these areas to be. Do not be shy about it. If you want to be the CEO of the company you work at, write that down. If you want the pomp and show of celebrity life, write that down. Now is not the time to hold back.
- What will it take to make a plan for your goals?
- Do you need more training?
- Does it require making a calendar?
- Are there things that need to be sacrificed?
- What are your strengths and how do they align with the plans you have for your future.
The imaginations of your mind MUST generate good feelings within you. If all they bring to you is stress, then there is an underlying issue that must be addressed. Take care of that first.
Think about what you want in these areas and make an effort to find images that represent the pleasant feelings.
Lastly, the idea is to create a vision for the story of your life. If you could imagine yourself at the end of your life, looking back on it, what would bring you the greatest satisfaction and the most pleasure? If you can answer that and be honest with yourself about what you want and how to get there, success lies in wait for you!